Enligt en artikel i tidningen The Atlantic var 2015 det bästa året någonsin för den genomsnittliga människan på jorden – trots alla svarta rubriker. Nedan sju fantastiska fakta från artikeln:
– Across the globe, the numbers of ongoing wars and battle deaths are still far below their levels of the 1970s and 1980s.
– For all that terrorism deaths have increased since 2012, they remain responsible for perhaps three hundredths of one percent of global mortality.
– The proportion of the world’s population that is undernourished has slipped from 19 percent to 11 percent between 1990 and today.
– Just since 2000, worldwide cases of measles have dropped by more than two-thirds, saving more than 17 million lives—largely thanks to increased vaccination rates.
– Nearly 7 million families avoided the pain of burying their child in 2015 who would have gone through it if the world hadn’t seen two and a half decades of historically unprecedented progress against childhood illness.
– The number of kids out of school has fallen from 100 million in 2000 to a projected 57 million in 2015.
– For the first time ever, less than 10 percent of the global population lived in extreme poverty, on less than $1.90 per day. That is down from 37 percent as recently as 1990.
Gott nytt år önskar FLS!